Posts made in November, 2013

More paperwork

Posted by on Nov 8, 2013 in Blog

I received email confirmation of our filing with the State of Oregon Corporate division and our filed Articles of Incorporation.

I started the process of register with the Oregon Department of Justice as a charitable organization. Form RF-C has been completed. We are required to mail that in with a copy of our Articles of Incorporation and signed bylaws. I’ve created our bylaws and will get them signed during our board meeting this Sunday.

Learn More

IRS and State of Oregon Registrations

Posted by on Nov 7, 2013 in Blog

I got a PO box yesterday for the Academy. Our address is: Mountain View Academy P.O. box 485 Lowell, OR 97452

I heard back from Kate Pattison. She said to submit our proposal to the ODE we could email her a digital copy. I emailed her the URL to the proposal page.

I applied for and received an employer identification number from the IRS. Here is the request and the confirmation. OUR EIN is 46-4053284

I registered with the State of Oregon Corporate Division. Our registration should be processed within one business day. Here is the web and emailed receipt.

Learn More

Paperwork

Posted by on Nov 6, 2013 in Blog

We are also required to submit our proposal to the Oregon Department of Education. I’m not sure if I just send it to the address on their web site or if there is someone in particular I need to address it to. I emailed Kate Pattison (our charter school contact with the State) to see where I should submit it.

Another requirement is to register with the State as a nonprofit organization. The registration page is located on the State web site. The form asks for the following items which I don’t currently have:

• Mailing Address
  • IRS Employer Identification Number
  • Date and State of Incorporation or Organization
  • Last month of the organization’s accounting period
  • Filed articles of incorporation, date stamped by the Secretary of State
  • Signed and dated bylaws

I emailed Kelly and Dionne asking if we should get a PO box. Once we get the mailing address I will complete steps 13 – 16 on the Starting a Charter School page.

Our plan is to contact community members and parents in our community to ask them if they want to serve on our board of directors. We will do this once the proposal gets approved by Lowell. For now I’m going to register us with the following officers:

Chair – Jake Plahn
Vice Chair/Secretary – Kelly Harris
Treasurer – Dionne Plahn

Learn More

Lowell School Board Meeting

Posted by on Nov 5, 2013 in Blog

I attended the school board meeting last night. During the public comment portion of the meeting Walt noted that the board has received a charter school proposal from Mountain View Academy. I introduced myself and briefly discussed our group and the proposal. Mike Galvin asked what our affiliation with the Fall Creek Home School Academy is. I said that we are a completely separate entity and that the state doesn’t allow private schools that have charged tuition to convert to charter schools. I also mentioned that our only relationship is that all of the people involved in the charter school are also involved in FCHSA. He then asked if not for that state requirement would the FCHSA have submitted the proposal. I initially said probably then later corrected myself and said yes.

Twice during other district discussions Walt mentioned the charter school as if it would be in place next year and be operated in the back wing of Lundy. In my opinion this is good news and I feel confident that he is on our side and will be a great advocate for our school.

Once again I was very impressed with Walt during the meeting and the direction that the district is heading in.

Learn More

Submitting the proposal

Posted by on Nov 5, 2013 in Blog

I delivered the proposal to the district office yesterday (11/4/2013). Walt was glad to see me and told me that they have the preliminary inspections for the back wing of Lundy completed. He mentioned that they found mold where the roof leaks and that it was just standard leaky roof mold that the inspector said was not toxic. He also asked how things were going on our end. I said that some of the people involved are a little hesitant, but that we are still moving forward with the charter school. Walt said that he would mention the proposal during the Public Comment part of the tonight’s board meeting. He also asked about the timeline for the proposal process and I said that I would email it to him. I emailed him when I got home a link to our Proposal Timelines page.

Learn More