Mountain View Academy
45 S. Moss ◊ Lowell, Oregon 97452 ◊ (541)735-1709
Board of Director’s Meeting
November 27, 2017
7:00 pm – Public Session
|The Mountain View Academy School Board encourages public input. Persons wishing to address the Board on school related issues, are invited to do so, either when the item is presented on the agenda, or under the “Public Comments” section. In the interest of time and order, presentations from the public are limited to three (3) minutes per person, and the total time for individual agenda items shall not exceed (20) minutes. An individual speaker’s allotted time may not be increased by a donation of time from members of the public in attendance. If you wish to speak under Public Comments, please complete a Public Comment Form and turn it in to Erica Richardson. The Board requests complaints or charges against an employee be held in Executive Session. Individuals who require disability-related accommodations or modifications to participate in the Board meeting should contact the Administrator in writing prior to the meeting.|
- Opening of Public Session – MVA Modular Classroom 19
- Public Session – call to order at 7:05 by Board Chair Julie Valencia.
- Attendance – Rita Fisher, Beau Garner, Stacey Kelso, Chris Curry, Julie Valencia, Laurie Cardwell, and Jessica Cardwell.
- Approval of Agenda – Agenda approved
- Approval of Minutes – minutes from previous meeting approved
- Schedule Next Meeting – January 23rd, 7pm in the MVA Modular.
- Budget –
– Laurie discussed budget and carryover with board members.
- Financial Review – financial documents have been reviewed by board.
- Public Comment
No public comments.
- Action Discussion
- Future Growth Fund Account
– Laurie presented an idea of a “savings account” for future growth of MVA.
– Discussed ideas that MVA could save toward and whether or not we wanted to create a line item.
– Discussion on the name of this line item and if we want to stick with “future growth fund”.
– Discussion on how much the board would like to place in the future growth fund.
Beau – suggested $75,000 be moved into the Future growth fund. Also suggested the Future Focus fund as the name of this fund.
Beau moves to place $75,000 from the contingency fund to a new line item called the Future Focus Fund.
Rita – seconds this motion.
Julie – A motion has been made to move $75,000 from the contingency fund to the Future Focus fund. All in favor: Rita, Beau, Stacey, and Chris. All opposed: none
Motion has unanimously passed.
- FMLA/Maternity Insurance Coverage
Laurie – With a teacher going on maternity leave, we want to create a policy for future teachers who would go onto maternity leave but plan to return to MVA.
Beau – suggests 90 days of continued benefit coverage for medical leave.
Chris – Adopt the policy to provide uninterrupted medical insurance coverage – for a period of 90 days – with a qualified medical event.
Rita – seconds motion
Julie – motion has been made to provide uninterrupted medical insurance coverage – for a period of 90 days – with a qualified medical event.
All in favor: Beau, Chris, Stacey, Rita, and Julie. Not in favor: none
- Long Term Sub Benefits
– Discussion on regulations for sub benefits and that we need to look into the state regulations and to talk with our insurance agent on what the rules are in this area.
- Director Hours
– Jessica presented that the current Director role needs to be expanded.
8:10pm – the MVA board will now meet for executive session pursuant to ORS 192.660(2)(a).
8:30pm – return to public session at 8:30pm
- Information and Study
- Administrator’s report
– see attached administrative report provided by Laurie Cardwell.
– Laurie handed each board member an updated packet of hiring policies from the Lowell School District. She asked that each board member look at it and make any suggestions.
Meeting adjourned at 8:43pm by Julie ValenciaLearn More