Action Items from 4/19 Meeting

• I’ve emailed Kate Pattison our latest charter school questions.
  • Now I’m going to do some research to determine if our administrator needs to be certified.
    • Charter School Handbook – Current Charter School law requires a minimum of 50% of the FTE (Full Time Equivalency) of the teaching and staff in a “brick and mortar” charter school to be licensed by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (ORS 338.135). If a teacher or administrator is not licensed they must register with the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC), the teacher and administrator licensing and registration state agency. The TSPC website, http://www.tspc.state.or.us/ provides more information about the process for obtaining licensure or registration. All teachers must be licensed or registered through TSPC.
    • ORS 338.135 –  (7)(a) Any person employed as an administrator in a public charter school shall be licensed or registered to administer by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
    • ORS 338.135 – (7)(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) or (b) of this subsection, at least one-half of the total full-time equivalent (FTE) teaching and administrative staff at the public charter school shall be licensed by the commission pursuant to ORS 342.135, 342.136, 342.138 or 342.140.
    • This answers or question – Administrators do not need to be licensed as long as 50% of the FTE teachers and staff are licensed. They do however need to be registered with the TSPC.
    • I looked on the TSPC web site to see what registration entails and how it is different than being licensed, but I couldn’t find anything. I’ve emailed contact.tspc@state.or.us to determine the differences.
  • “Outdoor recreational area” has been added to the budget.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email