Mountain View Academy
45 S. Moss ◊ Lowell, Oregon 97452 ◊ (541)735-1709
Board of Director’s Meeting
October 27, 2020
MVA Room #2
7:00 pm – Public Session
|The Mountain View Academy School Board encourages public input. Persons wishing to address the Board on school related issues, are invited to do so, either when the item is presented on the agenda, or under the “Public Comments” section. In the interest of time and order, presentations from the public are limited to three (3) minutes per person, and the total time for individual agenda items shall not exceed (21) minutes. An individual speaker’s allotted time may not be increased by a donation of time from members of the public in attendance. If you wish to speak under Public Comments, please complete a Public Comment Form and turn it in to Julie Curry. The Board requests complaints or charges against an employee be held in Executive Session. Individuals who require disability-related accommodations or modifications to participate in the Board meeting should contact the Administrator in writing prior to the meeting.|
1.0 OPENING OF PUBLIC SESSION –
1.1 Public Session Call to Order: Call to order at 6:58 pm
Julie Valencia, Board President
Julie Curry, Board Secretary
Beau Garner, Board Vice President
Rita Fisher, Board Member
Stacey Kelso, Board Member via ZOOM
Jessica Cardwell, Director
1.2.1 Guests: N/A
1.3 Approval of Agenda: Agenda was approved as written.
1.4 Approval of Minutes: Approved minutes as recorded.
1.5 Schedule Next Meeting: December 1, 2020 at 7pm.
1.6 PUBLIC COMMENT
Opportunity for Citizens to address items not on the Agenda. Persons wishing to address the Board on any school related issue not listed elsewhere on the agenda are invited to do so now. Audience time is not intended as a forum for public debate. Questions raised may require further investigation. Normally, the board will wait until its next meeting before responding to concerns raised.
1.7 Budget: Board has reviewed and discussed the budget.
1.8 Financial Report: Board has received and reviewed financial packets.
3.0 ACTION DISCUSSION
3.1 Protocol for board vacancies– Board discussed and agreed upon the new process. If there is an upcoming Board vacancy, applications will be accepted and reviewed during the months of January and February. Top applicants will be invited to come to the March, April, and May meetings to observe. The decision for the new board member(s) will be made – and will be onboarded as the last order of business – at the June meeting.
3.2 Continued discussion on public comment procedures – Board discussed and agreed upon the following:
– Public comment will be moved to action item 2.0 on the agenda, or 3.0 if there is an Executive Session.
– Public Comment language will be updated to “Opportunity for Citizens to address the Board under the Public Comment section. Audience time is not intended as a forum for public debate. Questions raised may require further investigation. Normally, the Board will wait until the next meeting before responding to concerns raised”.
– A sign will be placed on the front door of Lundy Elementary with a phone number to call or text if they are there to attend the MVA Board meeting. A member of the Board will welcome public members at the front door and escort them down the hall to the meeting. Given the time of the meeting, and for building security purposes, the meetings take place in a locked building, but the public is still welcome to attend.
– A public comment form will need to be completed, and turned into the Secretary, prior to the Call to Order at 7pm. Three minutes will be given to each member of the public who wishes to address the Board. Proper complaint protocol will be followed compliant to MVA Complaint Procedure and Policy as found in the handbook.
4.0 INFORMATION AND STUDY
4.1 Administrator’s Report:
- Staff update
- Pre-Kindergarten Operational Blueprint
- Mental health concerns within students
- ODE Complaint
- Parent – Teacher Conferences
Public Session Call to Close: 8:15pm
Any documents that are public records and are provided attachments to public session items on this agenda are accessible to the public on the school’s website, with the exception of documents provided at the time of the meeting. Documents that are public records and are provided at the time of the meeting to a majority of the Board regarding a public session item, will be made available for public inspection upon request to the Administrator’s Assistant.Learn More