Mountain View Academy
45 S. Moss ◊ Lowell, Oregon 97452 ◊ (541)735-1709
Board of Director’s Meeting
January 28, 2020
7:00 pm – Public Session
|The Mountain View Academy School Board encourages public input. Persons wishing to address the Board on school related issues, are invited to do so, either when the item is presented on the agenda, or under the “Public Comments” section. In the interest of time and order, presentations from the public are limited to three (3) minutes per person, and the total time for individual agenda items shall not exceed (20) minutes. An individual speaker’s allotted time may not be increased by a donation of time from members of the public in attendance. If you wish to speak under Public Comments, please complete a Public Comment Form and turn it in to Julie Curry. The Board requests complaints or charges against an employee be held in Executive Session. Individuals who require disability-related accommodations or modifications to participate in the Board meeting should contact the Administrator in writing prior to the meeting.|
1.0OPENING OF PUBLIC SESSION – Bridgeway Contracting
1.1 Public Session Call to Order: 7:00 pm
1.2 Attendance: Julie Valencia, Beau Garner, Rita Fischer, Julie Curry, Jessica Cardwell, Laurie Cardwell, and Stacey Kelso.
1.2.1 Guests: Maureen Weathers, 7:30 pm
1.3 Approval of Agenda: Approved with no changes.
1.4 Approval of Minutes: Approved with no changes.
1.5 Schedule Next Meeting: Executive Session 5:45 pm, Board Meeting 7pm.
1.6 Budget: Board reviewed and discussed.
1.7 Financial Report: Board has received and reviewed financial packets.
2.0 PUBLIC COMMENT
**Opportunity for Citizens to address items not on the Agenda. Persons wishing to address the Board on any school related issue not listed elsewhere on the agenda are invited to do so now. Board Members are limited, but not required, to give a brief response to public statement or questions regarding non-agenda items.
3.0 ACTION DISCUSSION
3.1 Administration Roles: Jessica presented to the board administrative roles, explaining further time expectations of the director’s position, and the importance of keeping a part time assistant director for the time being to help with the workload.
3.2 Approve 2020-2021 budget: Beau motions to approve the proposed 20-2021 budget, Julie C. seconds the motion, motion unanimously passed.
3.3 Discuss 5-year budget: Board discussed with Maureen.
3.4 Approve 2020-2021 calendar: Julie C. motions to approve the 20-2021 school calendar, Stacey seconds, motion unanimously passed.
3.5 ESSA update: A contract will be made between MVA and Lowell School District outlining a 5% grant management fee to be given to the Lowell School District each year of the grant.
3.6 Preschool update: Search for a location continues for next year. Going forward with enrollment and communicating to those enrolling about the location search.
3.7 Discuss board training opportunities: Summer Board Conference in Bend July 10-12, 2020. Another option would be half day board workshop bringing OSBA members discussing targeted topics to the board.
4.0 INFORMATION AND STUDY
4.1 Administrator’s Report
- Preschool/PreK location search – We are still working on a location for 2020 – 2021. We are going to move forward with enrollment – being transparent about our building location issue.
- 5 – year budget – we have created a 5-year budget to show that the changes we want to make are sustainable.
- 2020 – 2021 calendar – We have created our 2020-2021 calendar and planned field trips for 20-21.
- Every Student Succeeds Act – our application has been accepted & we have been notified of how much we are to receive. Our next step is working on our contract with the district, followed by more of the application process. It sounds like the next step is pretty in-depth.
- Field Trips – We have scheduled lots of new ones for this year.
- In February we will start having our staff observe one another. We are excited to get them into one another’s classroom and feel like this will make us stronger.
- Tours – we had our first tour in early January, and we are gearing up for a busy February as our 2020 – 2021 enrollment window opens up.
- Reworking our character traits each month – adding in social emotional learning lessons, group meetings, how to be a good friend, etc.
- Advertising – we are holding off on too much of this until our Preschool location is secured.
- Boy & Girl talk – went GREAT! Each year we get a little bit better
Public Session Call to Close: 8:32 pm.
Any documents that are public records and are provided attachments to public session items on this agenda are accessible to the public on the school’s website, with the exception of documents provided at the time of the meeting. Documents that are public records and are provided at the time of the meeting to a majority of the Board regarding a public session item, will be made available for public inspection upon request to the Administrator’s Assistant.Learn More