Posts made in April, 2013

Curriculum and TSPC registered

Posted by on Apr 28, 2013 in Blog

Jessica has completed the curriculum section of our Proposal – http://www.fallcreekcharter.com/our-proposal/. Thanks Jess.

In a previous post I mentioned that I emailed a question to the TSPC. Here’s my questions:

What is the difference between being licensed with the TSPC and registered with the TSPC? I’m starting a charter school and ORS 338.135 says that 50% of our FTE teaching and administrative staff shall be licensed. It also says that the other 50% need to be registered.

and here is their response:

A registration is usually for someone that has not completed a teacher education program or has not met full requirements to hold a full time state teaching license. In all cases teachers must meet HQ requirements.”

I’ve also emailed them the following additional questions:

• If our charter school is going to employ a non licensed administrator and this person is already licensed with the TSPC as a teacher does this license fulfill the requirement set forth by ORS 338.135? Or do they need to fill out a separate Form C-1 and check the “Charter School Registration: Administrator”?
  • If we want to employ an administrator that is not licensed, does the administrator need to meet HQ requirements? Or do we just need to make sure they are registered with the TSPC by filling out Form C-1 and checking the “Charter School Registration: Administrator”?
Learn More

New domain name

Posted by on Apr 26, 2013 in Blog

I’ve registered our new domain name – mtviewacademy.org. I’m in the process of moving the content from www.fallcreekcharter.com to the www.mtviewacademy.org.

Learn More

Substitutes and PERS

Posted by on Apr 25, 2013 in Blog

Substitutes

I’ve updated the budget with our substitute costs for the first year. ORS 342.610 defines the minimum salary for substitute teachers. You cannot pay subs less per day than 85% of the salary of a beginning teacher who holds a bachelor’s degree. The salary of the substitute teacher shall be computed as required in this subsection based on the statewide average salary for beginning teachers who hold bachelor’s degrees. The 2013-2014 numbers are located on the OSBA Substitute teacher pay web page. I estimated our substitute teacher pay at $171.

PERS

The Charter School Handbook states that all charter school employees belong to the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). I’m confident that we can limit our employees to teachers only. I think only employing teachers should be a goal of ours. Administrators and other employees can be hired through a third party contracting firm.

Learn More

Action Items from 4/19 Meeting

Posted by on Apr 24, 2013 in Blog

• I’ve emailed Kate Pattison our latest charter school questions.
  • Now I’m going to do some research to determine if our administrator needs to be certified.
    • Charter School Handbook – Current Charter School law requires a minimum of 50% of the FTE (Full Time Equivalency) of the teaching and staff in a “brick and mortar” charter school to be licensed by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (ORS 338.135). If a teacher or administrator is not licensed they must register with the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC), the teacher and administrator licensing and registration state agency. The TSPC website, http://www.tspc.state.or.us/ provides more information about the process for obtaining licensure or registration. All teachers must be licensed or registered through TSPC.
    • ORS 338.135 –  (7)(a) Any person employed as an administrator in a public charter school shall be licensed or registered to administer by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
    • ORS 338.135 – (7)(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) or (b) of this subsection, at least one-half of the total full-time equivalent (FTE) teaching and administrative staff at the public charter school shall be licensed by the commission pursuant to ORS 342.135, 342.136, 342.138 or 342.140.
    • This answers or question – Administrators do not need to be licensed as long as 50% of the FTE teachers and staff are licensed. They do however need to be registered with the TSPC.
    • I looked on the TSPC web site to see what registration entails and how it is different than being licensed, but I couldn’t find anything. I’ve emailed contact.tspc@state.or.us to determine the differences.
  • “Outdoor recreational area” has been added to the budget.
Learn More

Web site updates

Posted by on Apr 24, 2013 in Blog

I made a few minor changes to the web site. The style sheet has been updated, so that nested bullets are styled identically to MS Word.

• apples
    • kale
    • lettuce
      • raspberry
      • strawberry
    • celery
  • bananas
  • kiwi
  1. altoids
    1. peppermint
      1. metal
      2. plastic
    2. spearmint
  2. mentos
  3. certs

I also added a print button to the bottom of each page. This allows you to print the page without the top header and the right side navigation.

Learn More